This is a test

Started by Dave Baughman, September 11, 2010, 02:03:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cannonshop

just something for aviation folk.  From the makers of most of the charts and instruction manuals...

Kass

Poignative Dice Rolling for Examples:

Roll 12

[blockquote]Rolled 2d6 : 4, 3, total 7[/blockquote]

[blockquote]Rolled 2d6 : 5, 2, total 7[/blockquote]

GreyJaeger

No idea why I find this funny, but I see it and begin grinning like an idiot.

Parmenion

test roll...

[blockquote]Rolled 1d6 : 1, total 1[/blockquote]

Fatebringer

The dice gods, they hate you.

Dave Baughman

LotGH - Springtime for Hitler

I lolled, in particular at the lip-synched parts.
And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Apollyon, and Hell followed with him. And power was given unto them over the fourth part of the earth, to kill with sword, and with hunger, and with death, and with the beasts of the earth.

Dave Baughman

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Apollyon, and Hell followed with him. And power was given unto them over the fourth part of the earth, to kill with sword, and with hunger, and with death, and with the beasts of the earth.

GreyJaeger

My new Avatar, from Hearts of Iron 3.

Lord Harlock

Quote from: Dave Baughman on May 31, 2011, 06:47:16 AM

Honestly, it needed Kenneth Mars' line about 'baby' to make it perfect. Or it least a line of L.S.D.'s Hitler dialogue to make it absolutely perfect.

But then again, I still hoping for a day when a American Distributor gets Legend of Galactic Heroes because I took an oath to never again download a show that will probably never be released in America. Darn Virus.

Dave Baughman

Quote from: Lord Harlock on May 31, 2011, 09:24:22 PM
Quote from: Dave Baughman on May 31, 2011, 06:47:16 AM

Honestly, it needed Kenneth Mars' line about 'baby' to make it perfect. Or it least a line of L.S.D.'s Hitler dialogue to make it absolutely perfect.

But then again, I still hoping for a day when a American Distributor gets Legend of Galactic Heroes because I took an oath to never again download a show that will probably never be released in America. Darn Virus.

Far be it for me to tempt you after it sounds like you had a bad run-in with malware, but you know there are plenty of pretty reputable places you can get fandubs and not have to worry about getting infected. My experience has been that viruses and other shenanigans are only really an issue when you're digging down into the seedier places to find torrents (i.e. piracy-oriented sites)

Daemonknight

I find Pirate Bay to be perfect for acquiring torrents. I've never had any malware issues from my downloads there, and some of the guys in the community post some really high quality stuff. used to grab movies within days of DVD release, and it was a straight DVD rip. They're even doing Blu-Ray now.

its worth a shot if ur thinking about taking another pass.
"My only regret is that I will not be alive in .03 seconds. I would have liked to watch the enemy attempt to vent an omnidirectional thermonuclear blast enveloping their outpost."
-Last thoughts of Maldon, Type XXX Bolo, 3rd Battalion, Dinochrome Brigade

JediBear

Quote from: Lord Harlock on May 31, 2011, 09:24:22 PM

I find it truly tragic that copyrights are still being used to keep content away from consumers. That serves no-one's interest.

That being said, if you're willing to ignore the potential legal ramifications, the risks of picking up a virus from a fansub are actually quite low. In the realm of "lower than opening e-mails from your mother," especially if you stick to reputable sites, pay attention to user comments, and keep updated anti-malware software.

That said, always back up your data.

Lord Harlock

Not to make this a war on the issue of copyrights, but I like them. If I ever want to make any money off the worlds that I've created for my novels, I need copyrights to ensure protection of my fictional universes. Plus, it wasn't just viruses that drove me away from fansubs; it just intensified the process. Luckily, I always have back ups for my most important files, but it was just a particularly bad one that got attached to a download because the translator was careless on a Macross Frontier Fansub that I downloaded from a reliable server. After that I just watched the rest of Frontier on Youtube. So I stopped directly downloading fansubs in 2008, but it was two other things that made me swear off of them forever. And one specific fansub that became the catalyst.

To make a long story shorter hopefully, the show was Mobile Suit Gundam MS IGLOO episode 5 back in 2007 that started me to question their need. This fansub was suppose to be the best of the best in terms of translations according to the web and my friend who introduced me to the show. And in that episode, the subbers translated something as Zeon Republic. Okay, that shouldn't be that bad. Oh but it is. In terms of Gundam UC which IGLOO is firmly in, the Zeon Republic(Came back on January 1, 0080) ceased to exist after the death of Zeon Zum Deikum and the rise of the Zabi family who renamed the space based nation, the Principality of Zeon. Though in truth that isn't an accurate translation either, Zeon was never Zeon. It is in fact Zion. The translator for the Gundam Novels Frederick L. Schodt changed it for obvious reasons, and it has stuck since then.

This made me realize something. Fansubs can be great for stuff that will never come over especially when it there is no has chance for profit, but what happens when its translations create fan misconceptions. Plus what happens when a creators brings their stuff over to other nations either through a licensee or directly? In the case of Bandai Visual who eventually did bring Igloo to America when they directly entered the market for a period, it wasn't that good. It was mostly because their prices were ridiculous high like in Japan where one television episode on a DVD can cost maybe at the best thirty U.S. Dollars.  However, they had a translation that actually made sense (the official translation was homeland for Zeon Republic). Eventually Bandai Visual due to realizing the US market isn't Japan decided to work better with their real US distributor Bandai Entertainment, and the best thing to happen to Gundam in years occurred. The near simultaneously release of Gundam Unicorn on BluRay on both sides of the Pacific with an accurate and lively dub to boot.

And even though there are multiply legal ways to watch Gundam Unicorn other than the Blu-Rays (you can watch it on Zune and Playstation Network for far less than the Blu-Ray plus a DVD is coming soon with the fist two episodes), there are people putting out a fansub or ripping the Blu-Ray to distribute online. What! One of the arguments for fansubs is that they help to encourage shows to be picked up for license. That was never the case with Gundam Unicorn which was planned as a simultaneous release from near the beginning. Even though Gundam Unicorn was a success, I vowed never again to watch another fansub in March of 2010.

I will not break my vow. I wish to see the full release of Gundam Unicorn, and I have to give up on seeing Legends of Galactic Heroes forever then so be it. It's my choice. And honestly considering the world today, I don't expect others to follow it. I understand their reasons since I use to download fansubs, so I don't judge. The vows has been helped by the fact that most of the shows lately from Japan have been highly moe, so it was easy to break the habit. If there is a show that I want to see some footage or sample an episode, most of the American distributors stream them somewhere legally. Thus it really wasn't that I don't understand how to do it right, it's I just choice not to do it anymore.

Dave Baughman

Well, I agree with you that this isn't the forum for arguing about copyright issues, but I kind of feel obliged to note that the blu-ray rips of Unicorn aren't fansubs - those are pirated videos, for exactly the reasons you described. In my opinion, this isn't a "shades of gray" issue - fansubs are a reaction to rights-holders deliberately witholding material from the english language market, whereas the motivation for piracy is to obtain an available product without paying for it (i.e. theft). I think conflating fansubs with pirated videos is a case of greatly oversimplifying the issue.

That said, I dig where you're coming from, so I'll nag you no further ;)