Main Menu

[Combat Ops] Turn 9 - 2109 Butte Hold

Started by tassa_kay, November 22, 2010, 01:14:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tassa_kay

Why can't both ASF units engage?  I don't understand.

Parmenion

Quote from: tassa_kay on November 29, 2010, 08:07:09 PM
Why can't both ASF units engage?  I don't understand.

That's my thoughts also. 

Fatebringer

Flashpoint was designed to avoid the "Stack of Doom" scenario, breaking down large scenarios into smaller ones, extending large scale to more then one turn, and allowing higher value units to be worth attaining and maintaining. The unit sizes and combat orders were created to be part of the rules.

Flashpoint Rules Pg. 39
QuoteBattle Size Limits
Generally, orders have a size limit expressed in general terms that can apply to different unit types.
Some orders have special size limits, which are detailed in each order's description.
The battle size limit is the largest force that each side can commit to a given order (per theater). Smaller
forces can be used, but this generally does not obligate the other party to use a similarly small size; Clan
Trials, however, are one example of a situation where both parties deliberately under-deploy.

Battle orders are for one Top Level Unit to engage another Top Level Unit. There are orders such as Aerospace Support and Infantry Support that can make a unit stronger.

Battle
Category: Attack
Prerequisite: None
Size Limit: 1 top-level unit

Most of the orders include either Bottom, Mid or Top Level units. The only real exception is Naval Engagement wich allows for much larger engagements.

Fatebringer

Please address any issues with the rules to the Rules Q & A Thread. If I can answer them I will, if not we will have to wait for Dave as the Master Rules creator.

Parmenion

OK...probably need my head read, but the Horses ASF will engage as follows:

Trinary Alpha, 23rd Pegasus ASF Cluster - FL Medium ASF Cluster [74 FP, R/R] Orders: Battle (v's Wings of Samael)

Trinary Bravo, 23rd Pegasus ASF Cluster - FL Medium ASF Cluster [74 FP, R/R] Orders: Aerospace Support

I'm presuming that even if this goes badly, the Horses still have time following, to jump out their transport and attached ground forces.  Quiaff?

Fatebringer

OP 5 is scheduled for Battle Orders. OP 6 Initiative dictates the final events of the turn. Should the CHH win initiative, they can issue Transit Orders and end the turn in any Hex 1 away. If the BoS win initiative, they will determine their position and either continue with Battle or withdraw towards the surface. We can check with Dave on the options to try and Run when faced with Battle Orders. I do believe unless I come in on Intercept Orders, you would be able to still issue transit orders. We can use this example as a question at the Sandhurst Military Academy. Anywho, on to OP5

Fatebringer

OP 5 Combat Rolls

CHH ASF Support Roll (Curved Chart)

[blockquote]Rolled 2d6 : 4, 3, total 7[/blockquote]

CHH Combat Roll (Battle)

[blockquote]Rolled 2d6 : 3, 2, total 5[/blockquote]

BoS Combat Roll (Battle)

[blockquote]Rolled 2d6 : 6, 2, total 8[/blockquote]

Fatebringer

BoS Crit Chance Roll

[blockquote]Rolled 2d6 : 5, 1, total 6[/blockquote]

Fatebringer

CHH: 74 + (138 * .15) = 95
Bos: 138

No Crits

CHH: 95 * .25 = 24
BoS: 138 * .5 = 69

Will attempt to post AAR using Dave's example fomula after your damage is determined.

The method of Damage being divided between main and supporting ASF is Defender's Choice. I would recommend putting as much of it on the support as possible, because that would make it easier for the main unit to rebuild, unless you plan on having them on standby to sacrafice for a withdrawl. As I said before, not certain of the rules there.

Parmenion

Horses will disengage and leave the system (if possible).

I'll go with your recommendation, and have as much damage as possible allocated to the supporting ASF unit.

CHH initiative for the next round:

[blockquote]Rolled 2d6 : 5, 6, total 11[/blockquote]

Fatebringer

BoS initiative

[blockquote]Rolled 2d6 : 3, 2, total 5[/blockquote]

Fatebringer

Parmenion

Damage to CHH aerospace assets was 69.  10% recovery of that is 6.9, rounded to 7.

Question... neither CHH unit was destroyed by enemy action, however if I disband the heavily damaged one (using them to bring the other unit to full strength and return remaining assets to our budget pool) is that considered being a unit destroyed in action?  Which technically it isn't since the above course of action occurs after they get back to CHH space.

(but if it is, then thus incurring a -1 loss of Public Support which is something most factions want to avoid).

Daemonknight

the -1 to Public Support is ONLY if a TLU is killed via direct enemy action. Disbanding units because of combat losses does not fall into that categorey. However, if a unit is disbanded, they disappear totally- TLUs cannot be 'folded' into each other, nor do you gain any RPs back from a disbanded unit.
"My only regret is that I will not be alive in .03 seconds. I would have liked to watch the enemy attempt to vent an omnidirectional thermonuclear blast enveloping their outpost."
-Last thoughts of Maldon, Type XXX Bolo, 3rd Battalion, Dinochrome Brigade

Fatebringer

If I'm rereading this correctly, this thread is complete? Any further questions can be asked in the OOC section.