Tech Availabilty.

Started by Deathrider6, May 19, 2011, 12:09:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daemonknight

Falcons/Lyrans have:

HAG
AP Gauss
Plasma Rifle(IS)
"My only regret is that I will not be alive in .03 seconds. I would have liked to watch the enemy attempt to vent an omnidirectional thermonuclear blast enveloping their outpost."
-Last thoughts of Maldon, Type XXX Bolo, 3rd Battalion, Dinochrome Brigade

NVA

Osomeone has streak lrms tooo.  the wolves would not have shaeed easily, so it may have gone where they control their tech better.

Dave Baughman

Information in red below is as of the end of the '62 campaign, so I'm sure its no secret by '91..

Quote from: Parmenion on May 23, 2011, 03:03:23 PM
Mmmmm... from this, and for the general public, who has the following stuff and more importantly, is interested in trading/selling:

Compact Gyro - Lyrans/Falcons
Small Cockpit - Lyrans, Adders
MML - Somebody, but I don't remember who :(
Snub nose PPC - Combine
HAG - Lyrans/Falcons
Rotary Autocannon - Adders, Dominion
Stealth armour - Adders

(by all means, send me a PM  :) )

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Apollyon, and Hell followed with him. And power was given unto them over the fourth part of the earth, to kill with sword, and with hunger, and with death, and with the beasts of the earth.

chaosxtreme

Um didn't I have the entire Lyran tech tree?

I am rather certain  I did ayup. :-)

Daemonknight

You had what they had at the time you got it. We didn't have HAGs, or Plasma Rifles, at the time the deal was made. Not sure about the Gyro or Cockpit
"My only regret is that I will not be alive in .03 seconds. I would have liked to watch the enemy attempt to vent an omnidirectional thermonuclear blast enveloping their outpost."
-Last thoughts of Maldon, Type XXX Bolo, 3rd Battalion, Dinochrome Brigade

Parmenion

Thanks Dave!!

Is anyone able to shed any light on who has the following:

Light PPC
XL Gyro
Light FF
Improved Jump Jets

And DK has already mentioned that he has the (IS) Plasma Rifle

Quote from: Dave Baughman on May 23, 2011, 05:04:44 PM
Information in red below is as of the end of the '62 campaign, so I'm sure its no secret by '91..

Mmmmm... from this, and for the general public, who has the following stuff and more importantly, is interested in trading/selling:

Snub nose PPC - Combine
HAG - Lyrans/Falcons
Stealth armour - Adders

chaosxtreme

Taurians swore up left down and side ways that they had Targetting Computers and improved jump jets. Used them against me a couple of times in MegaMek
Quote from: Parmenion on May 23, 2011, 10:20:29 PM
Thanks Dave!!

Light PPC
XL Gyro
Light FF
Improved Jump Jets

Quote from: Dave Baughman on May 23, 2011, 05:04:44 PM

Snub nose PPC - Combine
HAG - Lyrans/Falcons
Stealth armour - Adders

Parmenion

OK... here's one.  Under Hugin, the OWA was allowed the FRB-3E Firebee quite a number of cycles ago (if folk recall, when we had a one off 'bonus' of being able to choose 5 designs from your respective factions future designs.  For the periphery nations, since they didn't usually have five designs, they were allowed to poke into the TRO3075 for designs.  Hugin picked the aforementioned Firebee variant as one of his designs.

It comes complete with:

stealth armour
plasma rifle
MML
XL gyro
small cockpit

Does this mean that the Horse Alliance has the tech designs for the five components above?

Holt

I was told 'No designs with tech you don't already posses.' But maybe it was just for me and my factions.....

Quote from: Parmenion on May 24, 2011, 12:25:38 AM
OK... here's one.  Under Hugin, the OWA was allowed the FRB-3E Firebee quite a number of cycles ago (if folk recall, when we had a one off 'bonus' of being able to choose 5 designs from your respective factions future designs.  For the periphery nations, since they didn't usually have five designs, they were allowed to poke into the TRO3075 for designs.  Hugin picked the aforementioned Firebee variant as one of his designs.

It comes complete with:

stealth armour
plasma rifle
MML
XL gyro
small cockpit

Does this mean that the Horse Alliance has the tech designs for the five components above?

Parmenion

Yeah... same here.  Oliveash only allowed the MoC and CHH stuff we already had (which was why we were not allowed to get the Balius-A with the HAG).

Could be that Hugin slipped one passed the GMs at the time.  Maybe they only looked at the FRB-2E main design, which is OK for a level 1 light mech, but nothing to write home about.

Quote from: Holt on May 24, 2011, 12:35:41 AM
I was told 'No designs with tech you don't already posses.' But maybe it was just for me and my factions.....

It comes complete with:

stealth armour
plasma rifle
MML
XL gyro
small cockpit

GreyJaeger

Well, it seems to me like we need a GM to look into this and make a ruling. The way it looks, Everybody is way behind in what they are capable of producing. Yes, I know this is not canon, but it seems we need to do something.

GreyJaeger

I think I have found the issue.

Quote from: Parmenion on May 24, 2011, 12:55:01 AM
Yeah... same here.  Oliveash[/u] only allowed the MoC and CHH stuff we already had (which was why we were not allowed to get the Balius-A with the HAG).

Could be that Hugin slipped one passed the GMs at the time.  Maybe they only looked at the FRB-2E main design, which is OK for a level 1 light mech, but nothing to write home about.

Quote from: Holt on May 24, 2011, 12:35:41 AM

It comes complete with:

stealth armour
plasma rifle
MML
XL gyro
small cockpit

Holt

For all his faults Oliveash was a nazi about his rulings, when he said no to something he pretty much didn't budge from it.

Dave Baughman

Part of the problem may have been that at the time the GM team didn't go out of their way to check the designs for adhering to the 'no new tech' rule. I originally requested the PXH-1c for RD and it was initially approved. It was subsequently disapproved after I (being a nice guy) double-checked specifically about the snubby. I'm not neccessarily suggesting anyone pulled a fast one, just that stuff got approved when it might not have been meant to (frankly, I always wondered how OWA got all that stuff...)

Its pretty well established in FGC canon that OWA did invent the Plasma Rifle, but as to the rest I'd definitely defer to DR6 for a final decision.

As to the other items, see below for the best of my recollections... DR6 of course may correct me if I am mis-remembering.

Quote from: Parmenion on May 23, 2011, 10:20:29 PM
Thanks Dave!!

Light PPC -- Draconis Combine
XL Gyro -- Lyrans & Adders
Light FF -- someone had the advanced I.S. ferro armor but I'm not sure who. Its in the reports PMs I'm sure.
Improved Jump Jets -- Taurians

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Apollyon, and Hell followed with him. And power was given unto them over the fourth part of the earth, to kill with sword, and with hunger, and with death, and with the beasts of the earth.

Dave Baughman

Hi guys, I touched base with DR6 to confirm some details after I got some questions, and I wanted to post a little primer about how technology acquisition works for construction components (armor, gyros, HAGs, etc etc). The part that in particular applies to the off-camera freebies from the time jump is highlighted in red.

Normally, technology components can be acquired two different ways (not counting special stuff like tokens, etc)

• R&D roll: sometimes a faction invents a new technology or copycats another faction's breakthrough with immediate effect as a result of an R&D roll; when this happens the faction leader gets  a PM telling them what technology they got. They are normally given one or two designs that use this tech (either with immediate access or requiring technology transfer projects, depending on how good the roll was) plus they may begin using omni variants that were previously unavailable due to this technology being 'locked.'
  • Technology transfer: To steal a technology component from another faction, you need to either have the schematics or you need to sacrifice a "pristine" example (i.e. not "used" battlefield salvage, with the specific exception of warships). You pay 10 RP (or 5 if you sacrifice an exemplar) and then have to wait 2d6 turns to get the technology. Getting a technology component this way unlocks the omni configurations but does not automatically give any other free designs. If the new technology came with schematics for a design, those schematics have to be technology-transferred seperately as they are a distinct and unique piece of technology.

However, there are also occasionally "this design only" type tech components, which happens when a faction acquires a unit design through R&D rolls (or special events like the 3091 reboot) that they didn't have the tech to build. In these cases, that faction would still be given access to their design (otherwise the R&D roll would be wasted), but the private message will contain some additional information:

• Whether or not the design can be transferred to other factions (usually "not until the tech to build it is seperately obtained" or "not unless the receiving party can build the design")
  • Whether or not the 'locked' technology can be developed from the design (usually "no")

In 'one design only' tech cases, Omnimech designs are not automatically unlocked and generally a fluff explanation is given (such as "this is still prototype technology for your faction and you can't produce enough of it to equip other designs/omnis/etc" or something similar).

I'm not 100% sure on the fluff background for any limited tech access that results from the freebies, but I'm assuming its going to be "these weapon systems are very new developments and are still in the pre-production experimental stage so your faction can only make enough to equip these few designs nor can you make enough for exports to be viable." From what DR6 indicated to me, any new tech on these designs is not going to be eligible for technology-transferred into full production; it will have to be acquired through the first two methods listed at the top.

tl;dr: You can choose designs that have HAG, APGR, Plasma, whatever floats your boat as long as it meets the basic criteria for selection, but that doesn't mean you have that underlying technology in mass production unless you got it through the normal game mechanical means.