Rules Discussion / Suggestions

Started by Fatebringer, April 19, 2012, 12:02:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daemonknight

Well, option 2, although as far as the game mechanics are concerned, 'swapping out' simply means turning 'PF' on the map into '2PF', and putting '2' in the PF column for that hex. Because now every hex is capped at having '3 PFs', with each PF in a hex representing a single Tier.

Make more sense?
"My only regret is that I will not be alive in .03 seconds. I would have liked to watch the enemy attempt to vent an omnidirectional thermonuclear blast enveloping their outpost."
-Last thoughts of Maldon, Type XXX Bolo, 3rd Battalion, Dinochrome Brigade

DisGruntled

If you had 3 PFs in a hex wouldn't it already be a Tier 3?

So I am correct that when you pay the RP you're really just adding a number to the PF in the hex (0->1, 1->2, 2->3) as long as you're following all the other restrictions.

Thanks again for the prompt answers,
-Dis

Arkansas Warrior

In regards to the raid table:

Raid Defense Force Table
2 70% of Attacker
3 75% of Attacker
4 80% of Attacker
5 90% of Attacker
6 100% of Attacker
7 100% of Attacker
8 100% of Attacker
9 110% of Attacker
10 120% of Attacker
11 135% of Attacker
12 150% of Attacker

What if the defender doesn't have that much force in the hex?  An example:

The 1892nd St.Ives Ducal Dragoon Guards (10 FP, E/R) Raid Sian (hex 2633).  Which is currently defended only by the 2.13th Sian Retired Pensioners (Free Militia 1.0 FP G/Q).  The Defender rolls a 12.  Do they suddenly have 15 FP of troops?  Or is the defender's roll constrained by something like "not exceeding maximum FP of defending forces on-planet at the time"?

Another question: Should I assume that all newly-created forces begin as green?

Daemonknight

newly created forces are Regular.

The Raid Defense Table only tells you the maximum ammount of force you MAY send against a raider. If you have less, then you have less.
"My only regret is that I will not be alive in .03 seconds. I would have liked to watch the enemy attempt to vent an omnidirectional thermonuclear blast enveloping their outpost."

Arkansas Warrior

Okay, thanks.  How do forces end up green then?  Just choosing to create them inexperienced for some odd reason?

Dave Baughman

Quote from: Arkansas Warrior on July 24, 2012, 03:39:03 AM
Okay, thanks.  How do forces end up green then?  Just choosing to create them inexperienced for some odd reason?

Units can be built as green to save money... IIRC a badly-damaged unit may also drop a skill rank when repaired. If they were regular before they got mauled, they may become green when all the replacements pour in.
And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Apollyon, and Hell followed with him. And power was given unto them over the fourth part of the earth, to kill with sword, and with hunger, and with death, and with the beasts of the earth.

Fatebringer

As Dave said, It comes down to Green forces are cheaper. If you have invested heavily in the training paths of the development tree, you can afford to build green units and train them up :) This works well for smaller realms without much money.

On the other end, it could still be an RP thing.

Daemonknight

Guys I wanted to clear something up real quick that came up in a private discussion.

Any tech, be it equipment or weapons, that can be found in ANY rulebook(Maximum Tech, XTRO, ect) is availible for research in this game. So if people want to go looking for stuff like the Blazer Cannon, or Hypervelocity Autocannons and such weapons. On the subject of Autocannons: each of the various Autocannon types is a seperate research path. So you would need to run seperate weapons research for the Ultra Autocannon, the Rotary Autocannon, the Light Autocannon and the Hypervelocity Autocannons. As for AC munitions...I think we can all agree that having to devlop each special AC munition type individually would be a nightmare for anyone whose interested in the systems. So I will say that anytime you research any Autocannon type, you can also choose a special munition type at the same time(meaning you basiclly get 4 'free' special munitions if you research all the AC types). I'll also allow that researching a special munition type gives you access to a 2nd munition type, a sort of research bleed over.

The same can be said for missile tech. Enhanced and Extended LRMs, MMLs, Thunderbolt and MRMs are all valid subjects for research projects. Sadly, Streak-LRMs are a clan weapon system, and not open for research(much as I love those things). Every time you research one, you get a 'free' special ammunition type(you may also choose to research and/or receive hard-point mounted munitions, such as Anti-Ship Missiles, Air-to-Air Arrow Missiles, ect...).

Arkansas Warrior

IIRC in cannon the various calibers were developed separately.  Am I reading you right that if you develop LBX ACs you get the LBX2 through LBX20 at once, you don't need to develop each separately?  Would that also apply to, say, ER and pulse lasers?

Daemonknight

I hadn't thought about that actually. But forcing everyone to research each individual size of each type of weapon is going to take forever. That would mean, to research all possible lasers, would require 6 runs of the Tier III weapons development path(Small/Medium/Large ER lasers, and Small/Medium/Large Pulse lasers). To fully research all the various Autocannons...that would take forever. And I don't think everyone wants to spend all their time just researching weapons, when there are plenty of other research options. Research takes long enough as it is.

So to answer your question, no, we arn't going to do that. You research the old SL-era weapon systems, you get all the sizes.

Now, for the future based systems, I think those should be more complicated. So when yous start running Tier V of the weapons development path(for things like MMLs, MRMs, Enhanced and Extended LRMs), you start at the bottom and work your way up in size.

Hugin

Quote from: Daemonknight on July 25, 2012, 08:35:58 PM
I hadn't thought about that actually. But forcing everyone to research each individual size of each type of weapon is going to take forever. That would mean, to research all possible lasers, would require 6 runs of the Tier III weapons development path(Small/Medium/Large ER lasers, and Small/Medium/Large Pulse lasers). To fully research all the various Autocannons...that would take forever. And I don't think everyone wants to spend all their time just researching weapons, when there are plenty of other research options. Research takes long enough as it is.

So to answer your question, no, we arn't going to do that. You research the old SL-era weapon systems, you get all the sizes.

Now, for the future based systems, I think those should be more complicated. So when yous start running Tier V of the weapons development path(for things like MMLs, MRMs, Enhanced and Extended LRMs), you start at the bottom and work your way up in size.

THAT is a very very VERY important and IMHO good ruling!!!

thanks for the clarification

Iron Mongoose

You wouldn't do six runs of tier III, you'd do one of tier III, and several of tier V, since the SL only had one size in each type of AC.

If you want to merror canon, you should probaly set the ER LL and PPC, the Ultra 5 and LB10 as recovered SL tech, and have it at the lower price, and then set all the rest from each set as a single set.  So, you pay SL prices for the ER LL, but with that in hand you can pay a single price at Tier V and get both the ER ML and ER SL.

An alternitive would be to have a tier IIIa, and make it a fairly token cost to do the same thing, reasoning that devloping the 'new' but basicly understood ER ML from the ER SL should be easier than devloping say...plasma rifles from nothing (even in canon, they were devloped from Clan plasma cannons).  But it still took the IS a decade to do the ERs and Ultras and LBs, and its often mentioned that it took access to Clan versions to do it, so it must not be a slam dunk.

Though, on the topic of Clan tech, you might put Tiers VII and VIII in for that (or even more) at outragious costs, so that people who really want to try and push it have something to shoot for.

Terminax

What about things like retrotech/primatives and weapons that didn't exactly go extinct but didn't go anywhere until lost tech was rediscovered like the Binary Laser Canon aka the mech blazer?

Mekorig

To clear some doubts after reading the research rules:

I want to produce the Locust LCT-3M, that have Anti-Missiles System, Ferro-Fibrous, CASE and Endo-Steel as Tier I techs. So i have to research Tier IIb* - Develop Prototype Equipment 4 times (for each AMS, FFA, CASE and ES), Tier V* - Advanced Prototype to add the Locust to my House list, and Tier I – Technological Revolution to upgrade a intro-tech factory to produce the mech?

Daemonknight