New (er) Record Sheet - version 0.50

Started by Dave Baughman, July 06, 2010, 04:27:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Baughman

Quote from: Jeyar on July 06, 2010, 11:42:53 PM
Okay I was typing my units in and I noticed a few things that I can probably answer with common sense, but I'm Taurian so...

;D

For some of the weight classes I have way more designs than I have slots. Not to put too fine a point on it, but I begged, borrowed, bought and "other things" in order to get a lot of designs (admittedly level 1 for the most part). Should I only put designs I "want" in the list, or ones that make sense for when the unit was put together? The second part is that I ALSO went and made forces that were quite nearly all one design - mainly as they were built to do certain combat missions but not ALL mission types (like the Far Looker Defender navies as an example - they have a purpose and were made to DO that purpose very, very well for all that I don't have the 8 best designs to do that particular mission type).
So... do I lose designs that I don't put in the list? Do my carefully created forces become generic?

I'm hoping missing designs don't go poof - otherwise I'm flexible, but I am ALSO willing to enter more into is that is allowed.

Any designs you don't put on the tables are not "lost" - but not putting them there would indicate they are not widely deployed. Note that only designs which have been paid for in accordance with the technology transfer rules can be put on an equipment table; merely acquiring the design through trade is not sufficient to use it.

As for single-unit formations, there is no "grandfather clause" on these - they are converted to whatever is on your table. I myself used single-unit formations when I ran RD, but they are not workable under the equipment table system. Honestly, this is not a bad thing from a "health of the game" perspective, since the squadron rules work in such a way that gives a disprortionate benefit to squads that consist of all the same design.
And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Apollyon, and Hell followed with him. And power was given unto them over the fourth part of the earth, to kill with sword, and with hunger, and with death, and with the beasts of the earth.

DXM

New problem.  In the naval tab, any attempt to input a Green-rated unit results in 0 FP regardless of the number of units placed in the table.  I seriously put in 60 DS and 60 fighter squadrons with no result.

Dave Baughman

Quote from: DXM on July 07, 2010, 08:55:38 AM
New problem.  In the naval tab, any attempt to input a Green-rated unit results in 0 FP regardless of the number of units placed in the table.  I seriously put in 60 DS and 60 fighter squadrons with no result.

I think I know what the problem is, and it should be an easy fix. However, I can't use excel due to my computer problems so I won't have a fix until probably Thursday.
And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Apollyon, and Hell followed with him. And power was given unto them over the fourth part of the earth, to kill with sword, and with hunger, and with death, and with the beasts of the earth.

Holt

Quote from: DXM on July 07, 2010, 08:55:38 AM

I had no problem putting in green naval units using the previous version.

Dave Baughman

The naval skills lookups were not (deliberately at least) modified between versions 0.49 and 0.50. I can't rule out the possibility that something inadvertently got out of whack, but it should be pointing to a table that gives specific modifiers.

EDIT> I was able to get into excel and check the 0.50 sheet. On the XLSX at least, green naval units seem to be working correctly.

Are you using one of the alternative versions? If so I will try to research it further.

DXM

Dave Baughman

That's very strange. I just opened the ODS version and it is working correctly (other than not having drop-down menus, but that's a different issue).

Silly question, does the spelling of the unit type (in column D) exactly match the corresponding entry in the lookup table at the very bottom of that sheet? Even a one letter discrepancy would cause the symptoms you described; in the XLSX version this is controlled by forcing you to choose off a dropdown, but dropdowns don't seem to work in ODS so...

DisGruntled

Are the marines and BT (battle taxis?) supposed to be added directly into naval FP?  If so that wasn't the case on the 050.xlsx sheet I downloaded and filled out yesterday.  Since we had no marines, getting 0.25 was a pain with the Adder charts, at least until I mapped out the low level changes per column ;)  A lot of our 2-3 FP fighter patrols got warped into dropship formations though as there was no way to get the 0.25 left over with a binary and a dropship.

Dave Baughman

Quote from: DisGruntled on July 07, 2010, 04:21:25 PM
Are the marines and BT (battle taxis?) supposed to be added directly into naval FP?  If so that wasn't the case on the 050.xlsx sheet I downloaded and filled out yesterday.  Since we had no marines, getting 0.25 was a pain with the Adder charts, at least until I mapped out the low level changes per column ;)  A lot of our 2-3 FP fighter patrols got warped into dropship formations though as there was no way to get the 0.25 left over with a binary and a dropship.

Marines and Taxis shouldn't be getting added to the ship's FP, since they don't raise its combat power in simple rez. The sheet will know they are there, however, and add to MP creation accordingly.

The TH "lost" some FP this way when we had underages in terms of FP and converted some of it to marines, but I'm sure it'll be worth it next time we get boarded.

Holt

You know i really liked the old method to track expenses specially intel because i did not have to refer to the rules thread for its cost. Could that be brought back?

Dave Baughman

Quote from: Holt on July 07, 2010, 05:43:21 PM
You know i really liked the old method to track expenses specially intel because i did not have to refer to the rules thread for its cost. Could that be brought back?

Actually yes. I am holding off because Josh and I are working on an overhaul of the intel rules that will be rolling out in the next turn or two - once that is finalized we'll be able to implement selectors that auto-calculate the costs.

Iron Mongoose

I'm finding that, using open office, that the Fighter tables are not auto compleating even after all the entries are full.  Is there are way to prompt them to fill in?  Or is there something else needed for that table?

Dave Baughman

That's very strange. When I open the ODS in Excel, those calculations all appear to be working correctly, so I think the problem is with Open Office. Let me ask you two questions:

1) Are you using the latest version?

2) Is there any kind of option to update the cell when you right click on it?

UPDATE

This Link appears to provide a couple of different workarounds, notably using the F9 key (I assume this updates any dependent cells). Please take a look and let me know if this resolves your issue.

DXM, this might also resolve the problem you are having with skill modifiers.

Iron Mongoose

well, my computer may have just eraced the whole thing, so if I don't break it, I'll let you know when I get around to that part again

DXM

Quote from: Dave Baughman on July 07, 2010, 06:11:34 PM
That's very strange. When I open the ODS in Excel, those calculations all appear to be working correctly, so I think the problem is with Open Office. Let me ask you two questions:

1) Are you using the latest version?

2) Is there any kind of option to update the cell when you right click on it?

UPDATE

This Link appears to provide a couple of different workarounds, notably using the F9 key (I assume this updates any dependent cells). Please take a look and let me know if this resolves your issue.

DXM, this might also resolve the problem you are having with skill modifiers.

Nope.  Doesn't change a thing.  And Veteran and Elite mods work fine -- I guess Fate doesn't want me to have Green units.  I can always just list them as Regular and recalculate their composition to match the Green FP.  I'm not intending to build any Green ASF units anyway, so the broken link isn't a massive problem.