New (er) Record Sheet - version 0.50

Started by Dave Baughman, July 06, 2010, 04:27:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Baughman

Quote from: Jeyar on July 14, 2010, 04:11:54 AM
Argh - hate the aerospace page. Really, really hate it. Really, really, really hate it.

Really, really, really, really hate it. MM can't even allow most middling tactics, and we are doing this for what? And we've had mention of giving the techs away for FREE with this mess as is? Oh Yeah - we're doing this to prevent cheating...  :P

And to prevent the FS from using 5397901735807180573801758037150381758031758037580137580317580317580317508317508317508317508371508317501FP Fox flotillas next time they invade the TC ;-)
And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Apollyon, and Hell followed with him. And power was given unto them over the fourth part of the earth, to kill with sword, and with hunger, and with death, and with the beasts of the earth.

Daemonknight

The ground portion is going to be the death of me...my sheet has over 400 lines of info for my ground units... Urgh.
"My only regret is that I will not be alive in .03 seconds. I would have liked to watch the enemy attempt to vent an omnidirectional thermonuclear blast enveloping their outpost."
-Last thoughts of Maldon, Type XXX Bolo, 3rd Battalion, Dinochrome Brigade

DXM

Ha-ha!  Mine has 95, so meh.

. . . wait a sec.

Marlin

Ground was a piece of cake for me and the tiny forces  ;D ... upsi.  :-X

GraeGor

Iron Mongoose

Did we ever figure out what it was about open office and the air tables compleating?  I actualy looked over Grae's orders, and they didn't load on his tables either.

I can get it done just by hand, since I know what I want to do, but I can't do that whole automated table thing by tomarrow, unless we get a fix fast.

DisGruntled

When I opened up Grae's ODS sheet with excel 2k7, most of the automation was gone, and a lot of stuff had been hard coded.

Does mround work properly in open office?  I vaguely remember it not working, but I'm not sure and it wasn't a different function I normally use that didn't work the same.

Has any thought been given to using the excel from either google docs or possibly MSN's Sky drive?  That might be another solution for those who don't have access to MS Office.

Daemonknight

I use open office, and I don't think its actually open office, I believe its the .ods file type that is the problem. I use OO and I have all kinds of problems with the whole file being suddenly locked by unknown user.

All you need to do is take the file, Save As a .xls file, and it'll work fine. The glory of Open Office: it can use every file extension. And .xls seems much more stable. I was having issues last night with the .ods, re-saved as .xls and behold, everything is good to go.

Might be it'll solve other people's problems aswell
"My only regret is that I will not be alive in .03 seconds. I would have liked to watch the enemy attempt to vent an omnidirectional thermonuclear blast enveloping their outpost."
-Last thoughts of Maldon, Type XXX Bolo, 3rd Battalion, Dinochrome Brigade

Dave Baughman

Quote from: Iron Mongoose on July 14, 2010, 03:16:49 PM
Did we ever figure out what it was about open office and the air tables compleating?  I actualy looked over Grae's orders, and they didn't load on his tables either.

I can get it done just by hand, since I know what I want to do, but I can't do that whole automated table thing by tomarrow, unless we get a fix fast.

Saving, closing, and re-opening the sheet may cause everything to refresh - at least based on a discussion I had with DXM a couple days ago.

Quote from: DisGruntled on July 14, 2010, 04:15:14 PM
When I opened up Grae's ODS sheet with excel 2k7, most of the automation was gone, and a lot of stuff had been hard coded.

Does mround work properly in open office?  I vaguely remember it not working, but I'm not sure and it wasn't a different function I normally use that didn't work the same.

Has any thought been given to using the excel from either google docs or possibly MSN's Sky drive?  That might be another solution for those who don't have access to MS Office.

Opening the ODS in excel will break all the formulas. The ODS sheet is only for Open Office, and Excel does not play nice when converting it back to Excel format.

Quote from: Daemonknight on July 14, 2010, 06:16:32 PM
I use open office, and I don't think its actually open office, I believe its the .ods file type that is the problem. I use OO and I have all kinds of problems with the whole file being suddenly locked by unknown user.

All you need to do is take the file, Save As a .xls file, and it'll work fine. The glory of Open Office: it can use every file extension. And .xls seems much more stable. I was having issues last night with the .ods, re-saved as .xls and behold, everything is good to go.

Might be it'll solve other people's problems aswell

If it works, go for it.
And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Apollyon, and Hell followed with him. And power was given unto them over the fourth part of the earth, to kill with sword, and with hunger, and with death, and with the beasts of the earth.

Jeyar

Wow - I really hate the aerospace section: steps, philosophy and lack of answers. I wish I HADN'T sent in my concerns now before the rules went up - it's like they were a guildline for how to make this a bigger mess.

I will send out corrections when I can.

GraeGor

I suck at understanding tutorials, though I know that if I can see an example of some stuff regarding a breakdown of detailed Naval/ASF Fleets and Regiments, I'll go D'OH

Iron Mongoose

Well, I figured out my problem: it didn't recognize the numbers generated by the 2d6 in the little chart, so no matter how many fighters I had, it thought I had zero.  I ended up just overriding the numbers with the same number as a hard amount, and it works now.  So I should be good to go, so long as I never need to change the size of my stars.

GreyJaeger

Okay...I was (hopefully) helping Graegor, and decided to post this here in case anyone else is still having issues.

If you look below the RATs you will see the DropShip lists. (You may have to click the (+) on the far left to extend it out. It should look like this...

Quote# in formation            Equipment Type   Ind. FP   Cmtv. FP   Cmtv. FC   Cmtv. SC
         1                                                      0                 0            0         0
         2                                                      0                 0            0         0
         3                                                      0                 0            0         0

As you fill out the Dropship RATs the "Equipment Type" will be filled in automatically.

Now suppose you are building an Independent Wing of two Patrol Dropships. Those two dropships will be #1 and #2 on the List under the Patrol RAT. This "CMTV FP" is Cumulative FP, "Cmtv FC" is Cumulative Fighter Capacity, and "Cmtv SC" is Cumulative Small Craft. The same will apply to Transports and Assault. As your list fills out, you will be able to look and see how many DropShips will be necessary to carry whatever. For example, if you want to carry a mixed Battalion of Mechs and tanks, look under the Transports List. If after three dropships you have enough capacity, you may stop. Or, suppose you just want to set a force of 10 Assault ship. Looking through spots #1-10, you will know how many FP the force will be, how many fighters can be carried, as well as Small Craft.

Jeyar

Iron Mongoose

The worst for me was the choice between matching what I had, and doing something reasonable.  The Mandrills really only had about three difrent types of stars.  Most wings were 60% Visigoths, 40% Batus.  Others were 100% Chearoneas, and a few were Scytha/Hydasphus mixes (and I know I've spelled all the Alexandrian names wrong).  So to do a mix of difrent fighters when I already know that the only medium fighter in my wings is the Visigoth is hardly easy.  Similarly, with dropships all we ever used were Titans.  All the ships with any other deployment have been distroyed, so only the two core fleets with that design are left.

In the end, I did a compermise, with tables heavily weighted to what I know we have, but still be bit fun.