OOC Thread #2

Started by Dave Baughman, July 26, 2010, 03:38:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GraeGor

Quote from: Daemonknight on September 07, 2010, 02:28:20 PM
A brigade is a multi-regimental force, usually between 2-5 Regiments in size. Combined Arms is a very broad term, simply meaning multiple types of soldiers are working together(for example, an RCT is a form of Combined Arms Brigade, because it has multiple regiments of different types of troops(armor, mechs, infantry).

An Auxiliary Brigade is more of a societal thing. Auxiliary troops are second tier soldiers, such as conventional infantry or conventional fighters. Armor might also be considered auxiliary, because its role was supplanted by Mechs. BA could be seen as auxiliary at one time, but has become very commonplace, so it might not qualify. But it all depends on your view of the battlefield: Mechs are the top-tier soldiers, and if your view is that they are sole masters of the modern battlefield, everything else could be considered Auxiliary.

Im really confused then...I have Brigades listed as being part of Regiments, where it sounds like Regiments are the larger formation, with Combined Arms and Auxiliary being an undefined mix of units...excuse me while I beat my head on my desk for a minute or three

Daemonknight

Organizational Structure(largest to smallest):

Army
Corps
Division
Brigade/RCT
Regiment
Battalion
Company
Platoon/Lance
Squad
Fire-team

In your situation, I would be forced to guess that they mixed up Brigade with Battalion. In the old days(American Civil War is the last time i knew of it), a Brigade was actually smaller than a Regiment, but it was dropped from useage by World War II. Its not an actual structure in modern militaries.
"My only regret is that I will not be alive in .03 seconds. I would have liked to watch the enemy attempt to vent an omnidirectional thermonuclear blast enveloping their outpost."
-Last thoughts of Maldon, Type XXX Bolo, 3rd Battalion, Dinochrome Brigade

GraeGor

good thing I plan to do a bit of restructuring/reorganization then

just need to figure out the exact composition of the Auxiliary and Combined Arms "Brigades"

Marlin

Quote from: Daemonknight on September 07, 2010, 04:07:22 PM
Organizational Structure(largest to smallest):

Army
Corps
Division
Brigade/RCT
Regiment
Battalion
Company
Platoon/Lance
Squad
Fire-team

In your situation, I would be forced to guess that they mixed up Brigade with Battalion. In the old days(American Civil War is the last time i knew of it), a Brigade was actually smaller than a Regiment, but it was dropped from useage by World War II. Its not an actual structure in modern militaries.

The part in bold is not entirely true. German army is using it. As does the german-france brigade (multinational).

The special thing in france is, according to Wiki, that they use the term for a sub-company structure, lead by a Brigadier. (In swiss and Austria, the Sub-Divisional- Brigade is led by a Brigadier as well. :D)

Fatebringer

Hey there guys, as someone who was in the US Army, I can tell you what I know about this from our force lists. The only difference between a Brigade and a Regiment is their function.

Both a Brigade and a Regiment are made up of Battallions. Bridages were traditionally formed to pick up loose units and group them often making them slightly larger then a Regiment, but rarely smaller.

In modern terms, the US Army uses the term Brigade for their Artillery units and have announced the future use of BCTs for their Mobile Infantry units combining Artillery / Infantry / Tank / Support (Commo, medics, etc) units in the true fashion of what a Brigade is supposed to be. As combat teams get smaller to deploy together, the BCT will continue to be a useful element.

Army
Corps
Division
Regiment (Brigade)
Battalion
Company (Battery)
Platoon / Lance
Squad (Section)
Fire-team

(*) Is the Artillery Term for the unit, I assume Lance referes to the Marine term? They're the only ones I know that use the "Lance" Corporal.

The Davion use of RCT combines Regiments together, technically making them Divisions by the modern warfare scale.

DXM

Being a soldier myself, the grouping of regiments into brigades in BattleTech always threw me for a loop because, as Fate pointed out, brigades and regiments are the same size.  Here's a real-life example from my own experiences.

I used to be a member of the 3rd Armored Cavalry Regiment, which consisted of five squadrons (the US cavalry term for a battalion) -- Tiger (1st), Saber (2nd), Thunder (3rd), Longknife (4th), and Muleskinner (Support).  The first three were ground formations with cav scouts, Bradleys, and Abrams; 4th is an aviation element with (at the time, but no longer) Kiowas, Apaches, and Blackhawks; and Muleskinner the Support Squadron being a mixed bag of engineers, medics, chemical guys, and maintenance personnel.  The key is that all of these battalion-sized elements are part of a single homogenous organization -- the 3rd ACR.

During my second deployment, my unit supported the 1st Brigade Combat Team, 10th Mountain Division, which consisted of the 1st Battalion, 87th Infantry Regiment; 2nd Battalion, 22nd Infantry Regiment; 1st Squadron, 71st Cavalry Regiment; 3rd Battalion, 6th Field Artillery Regiment; 1st Brigade Support Battalion; and 1st Brigade Special Troops Battalion.  This is typical of a US Army BCT -- two infantry battalions, one cavalry squadron and/or armor battalion, an artillery battalion, and one or two "troops" battalions that are composite of different unit types that are all support for the combat elements.  These are all "loose" units (as Fate put it) whose parent regimental organizations do not operate as a single whole, and thus are grouped together as a Brigade for organizational purposes.

Marlin

Wiki says, and I believe it ;), that the brigade is the smallest independent operational unit. Or so. :P

At least in Germany. It has thus earned the view as normal higher than Regimental formation. Its logic.

Daemonknight

my list of unit orgs was supposed to be in BT, not Modern. Thats why I included Lance- as far as I know, 'Lance' is not a unit org name in the Corps, but i'm not in with too many Marines anymore, sadly.
"My only regret is that I will not be alive in .03 seconds. I would have liked to watch the enemy attempt to vent an omnidirectional thermonuclear blast enveloping their outpost."
-Last thoughts of Maldon, Type XXX Bolo, 3rd Battalion, Dinochrome Brigade

Fatebringer

Quote from: GraeGor on September 07, 2010, 09:33:17 PM
"And this foreign legion of yours, how will it be called?"

"That I do not know," is all he says in answer.

Why don't I believe you....

chaosxtreme

My money is on the Lyran Legion.

Marlin

Is it ok to post our 42 threads already?

Does the Deadline still go until the 10th?

LittleH13

I am going to give an extension on posting until the 12th.

-Josh

Marlin

Alright, would you open the subforums then, please?

I knew there was something missing.

Dave Baughman

Quote from: Marlin on September 08, 2010, 09:17:13 PM
Alright, would you open the subforums then, please?

I knew there was something missing.

Subforums will be up later tonight, as soon as intel reports (for those who got their orders in on time) go out. To give you guys a general timeframe, I need to run out to the supermarket to get some ingredients, then I need to make some food for the rest of the week. Once that is done, intel reports will go out. Once all reports are sent, then the combat areas will open.
And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Apollyon, and Hell followed with him. And power was given unto them over the fourth part of the earth, to kill with sword, and with hunger, and with death, and with the beasts of the earth.

Marlin

Alright. With the Extension in place, it shall be done.  :)

Enjoy your meal(s).

Good night.