OOC Thread #2

Started by Dave Baughman, July 26, 2010, 03:38:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fatebringer

Looks like there is some havok over on the CBT site.

Some people have been demoted to "Guest"
Thread Counts for the Categories seem to have been reset.
Permissions have been augmented so not all threads are visible to all poeple :P

"Cats and Dogs, living together, MASS HYSTERIA!" - Dr. Peter Venkman

Deathrider6

Looks liek CBT got plastered by the latest spambot bug...ugh.

DXM

Quote from: Fatebringer on January 20, 2011, 11:23:54 PM
Looks like there is some havok over on the CBT site.

Some people have been demoted to "Guest"
Thread Counts for the Categories seem to have been reset.
Permissions have been augmented so not all threads are visible to all poeple :P

"Cats and Dogs, living together, MASS HYSTERIA!" - Dr. Peter Venkman

Glad to see I'm not going crazy after all.  I needed to jump over here to check in and make sure I wasn't the only one with issues, then I discover that they've dropped the boards indefinitely due to a "security breach."

Daemonknight

yeah, it sucks, because from that message they put up there, the servers were severely compromised...i mean, people having to re-make their accounts isn't that big of a deal really, as all you lose is post count, buddies, and other little inconsequenctial stuff. Its the potential damage to the forums themselves I'm worried about.

I was talking to Lucky Luke, and he said that this happened once before, and they lost alot of actual forum posts, and links...thats alot of potential information loss, i really hope they have auto-backups that're safe. Otherwise alot of cool info and fanfic might get lost.
"My only regret is that I will not be alive in .03 seconds. I would have liked to watch the enemy attempt to vent an omnidirectional thermonuclear blast enveloping their outpost."
-Last thoughts of Maldon, Type XXX Bolo, 3rd Battalion, Dinochrome Brigade

Deathrider6

Yeah losing that stuff would be very bad...I'm sure that they will get things fixed though.

Daemonknight

hehe, i made a splash in the Solaris 7 game the other day. I made a Canopian aerospace fighter pilot, Aleisha Ragnar, whose quit the flirty, slutty chick. She made a married 'samurai' walk away muttering under his breath about how they were going to find him floating face-down in the river because of her

:) awesome
"My only regret is that I will not be alive in .03 seconds. I would have liked to watch the enemy attempt to vent an omnidirectional thermonuclear blast enveloping their outpost."

Marlin

Noooo, my post-count...

:P

Someone will have to pay for this..

Lord Harlock

Somehow, I doubt that will get you a red nickle, Marlin.

Fatebringer

We recently created a GM site for the CBT S7 game. We hadn't transfered over the old characters and old Stable info yet, but even if the worst happened and we had to restart, this would not be horrible for us. We have back up copies of the rules, the stables, and our plot notes. ;)

If we had to restart, we could put the game on hiatus for two months while we updated the rules to ATOW. Come back fresh, etc. Still, it doesn't look like the boards are all that bad off.

Drakef

I'm a little bored without the CBT Forums. Luckily, I don't have the largest post count to lose. Will we have to make new accounts? Maybe I can grab the name 'HABEAS2' first!

Parmenion

Quote from: Daemonknight on January 21, 2011, 07:18:48 AM
yeah, it sucks, because from that message they put up there, the servers were severely compromised...i mean, people having to re-make their accounts isn't that big of a deal really, as all you lose is post count, buddies, and other little inconsequenctial stuff. Its the potential damage to the forums themselves I'm worried about.

I was talking to Lucky Luke, and he said that this happened once before, and they lost alot of actual forum posts, and links...thats alot of potential information loss, i really hope they have auto-backups that're safe. Otherwise alot of cool info and fanfic might get lost.

It happened around six years ago from memory (give or take a year or two).   Old boards were wiped, and we all had to start from scratch in regards creatign new accounts and post counts.  A great gnashing of teeth and howls of dispair were heard across the universe  :)

chaosxtreme

Quote from: Drakef on January 21, 2011, 11:57:05 PM
I'm a little bored without the CBT Forums. Luckily, I don't have the largest post count to lose. Will we have to make new accounts? Maybe I can grab the name 'HABEAS2' first!

Psshtt no sense of ambition there. Im shooting for Awesome.

yeah you heard me.

Because I. AM. An Assault Mech!

Iron Mongoose

I remember I really got into it around that last big crash.  I'd been lurking for a month or so, but when it reset I jumped on board.  So perhaps it will be for the best, that for an hour or two everyone's equal.  Then Wombat will do a thousand posts and order will be restored in the universe, but even so.

I think most of the best fan fiction and a lot of the mech of the week type stuff is saved (some of it came along even after the last great crash) so we should be ok there, and we're between FGCs over there so that's safe.  S7 could be a problem (I've been out of that game for years, so I don't know how it is these days).  But on the whole, its sometimes nice to start fresh.

Daemonknight

Quote from: Fatebringer on January 21, 2011, 03:49:44 PM
We recently created a GM site for the CBT S7 game. We hadn't transfered over the old characters and old Stable info yet, but even if the worst happened and we had to restart, this would not be horrible for us. We have back up copies of the rules, the stables, and our plot notes. ;)

If we had to restart, we could put the game on hiatus for two months while we updated the rules to ATOW. Come back fresh, etc. Still, it doesn't look like the boards are all that bad off.

I don't get why we would need to pause the game to add ATOW to the system... would we all need to remake chars under it? Otherwise why pause, things are slow enough as it is.

Fatebringer

The concept of supporting the latest B-Tech products was always a priority for the game. We did not upgrade to ATOW already because we hadn't had a chance to check out the rules yet. People kept trying to tell us the rules were out, but from what we were told, the PDF copy that was floating around was only a Beta version of the game. The actual book was shipped out late last year and is worth taking a look at.

When I say taking a Hiatus, I'm not talking about the extensive FGC 3010 type Hiatus, but a month or two to review the rules. Our GMs will not keep the game down longer then we have to. However, the first thing we need to do is to see what happens on the new board. If all the old characters are still there as well as the old info, there won't be much of a break as we update, and then we'll slowly research ATOW and it's merits while the game is running.

If the boards get archived or whiped, we may push for a revamp sooner.