OOC Thread #2

Started by Dave Baughman, July 26, 2010, 03:38:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Iron Mongoose

Something I've been seeing from some players (yes, Dave is a bit one of them) is the use of forign launguage with no translation.  Now, I apprecate the effort to generate that, and it adds to the immersion and make the game a lot of fun.

But, a lot of times it would be reasonable for the cherictors viewing that to know what is being said.  Any Combine cherictor would understand Japanese, for example, but would any Combine player?  My own Japanese is quite poor.  Any Lyran cherictor would know German, but would a Lyran player?  I do play some Lyrans, and I don't know more than the one or two words they use in WWII movies, despite years of chatting with Marlin and Hugin (whos' English is usualy better than mine). 

So, I'd ask kindly that translations be provided, and the launguage named, and we just leave it to the cherictors to determine what their level of understanding.  For example, the Dark Shadows all spoke the launguage of the Aztecs, as a sort of secret launguage, so it was assumed to be unknown to most observers.  But, my thought was to post in english, and leave it to the other player if they thought their cherictor would understand (which inveriably, they did not). 

The big upside is speed and accuracy, since you don't lose subtle little things using the internet translator (or lose big giant huge things, as can take place).  The second big upside is that everyone else can enjoy watching the RP that is taking place.  Imagine if Marlin and Hugin (and anyone else who speaks German) were all Lyrans and did all their RP in German?  Many of us would be deprived of reading the work of two of our best RPers!

Hugin

first: thanks for the gentle words  :o

second: I did some RP in german in the FGC time (when I was a GM) and got instantly Mod - hammered by Welshman who did not like my german playing because he was unable to read it...

on the flip side: if anyone needs translations for german stuff... just PM me :)

Marlin

:o  :-[

Thanks Iron. I wont make fun of that.

I think to provide a translation along with the foreign language would not be too much to be asked. In brackets, for example. Would help everybody. As english is the prime language, we might agree on that.

You olde adulator!  ;D

Fatebringer

Moooooom, Chaos is trying to turn me into a Warmonger!

Jeyar

*poke*

Well, since you won't even invite poor old Ivers to tell you something odd... So odd probably some of the strings of the universe will break, well you need something for a reputation. ;D

august

For what it's worth, I sent out a good number of IC PMs this cycle, and a minority were answered. It's totally cool if other players are busy or whatnot and I don't worry about it. However, if some of these PMs went unanswered for IC reasons, could you please give me a heads up of "No IC response forthcoming," or something like that just so I can keep it straight which I should take as IC snubs and which I should take as real life intruding?

GraeGor

Quote from: august on August 20, 2010, 10:41:59 PM
For what it's worth, I sent out a good number of IC PMs this cycle, and a minority were answered. It's totally cool if other players are busy or whatnot and I don't worry about it. However, if some of these PMs went unanswered for IC reasons, could you please give me a heads up of "No IC response forthcoming," or something like that just so I can keep it straight which I should take as IC snubs and which I should take as real life intruding?

Not sure if Stan, the Adders, and to a lesser extent Charlie, are amongst those...I wouldnt be surprised if they are, I tend to get sidetracked with other events to often. Also, I generally try to get Dis and IM's input on things that affect the Adders as a whole and sometimes the replies are slow in coming, or stuff happens on weekends which are really bad for me currently

I'll go thru my collection of PMs from July and double check, though I may be a bit slow in that, my time online during weekends is somewhat limited due to my job (a couple hours before and after work if Im lucky)

NVA

Seriously, on INIT?  I get those rolls on INIT on worlds were it won't matter 1 Iota cause they came with guaranteed wins rather than anything sporting?  SERIOUSLY?  Sheesh.  Please let me get those on my real rolls, so I at least can hurt them.

LOL...

august

Thanks, though if I recall correctly, there's just one that went out to the Adders (and was a mass mailing - don't know if I'll get individual replies, or there will be some sort of collective reply).

Quote from: GraeGor on August 21, 2010, 01:46:54 AM
Not sure if Stan, the Adders, and to a lesser extent Charlie, are amongst those...I wouldnt be surprised if they are, I tend to get sidetracked with other events to often. Also, I generally try to get Dis and IM's input on things that affect the Adders as a whole and sometimes the replies are slow in coming, or stuff happens on weekends which are really bad for me currently

I'll go thru my collection of PMs from July and double check, though I may be a bit slow in that, my time online during weekends is somewhat limited due to my job (a couple hours before and after work if Im lucky)

GraeGor

Quote from: august on August 21, 2010, 06:04:53 PM
Thanks, though if I recall correctly, there's just one that went out to the Adders (and was a mass mailing - don't know if I'll get individual replies, or there will be some sort of collective reply).

Quote from: GraeGor on August 21, 2010, 01:46:54 AM

if it's the one Im thinking of, there will be a reply soon, had to get some details squared away first...

If not sunday, then monday whether Im in the mental mood for it or not...I know it's cutting things close, and for that I apologize

Daemonknight

on a side note, if anyone wants to see my first MM game, i'm playing Dave tonight :)
"My only regret is that I will not be alive in .03 seconds. I would have liked to watch the enemy attempt to vent an omnidirectional thermonuclear blast enveloping their outpost."
-Last thoughts of Maldon, Type XXX Bolo, 3rd Battalion, Dinochrome Brigade

Daemonknight

if anyone wants to see my infantry take down Dave's Zues with cockpit shots...its coming. don't you worry.

as a sidebar, my Shadow Hawk has 20 heat to start turn 7, and is still going strong with alpha strikes. He is my new best friend
"My only regret is that I will not be alive in .03 seconds. I would have liked to watch the enemy attempt to vent an omnidirectional thermonuclear blast enveloping their outpost."

Cannonshop

Quote from: Daemonknight on August 22, 2010, 04:19:01 AM
if anyone wants to see my infantry take down Dave's Zues with cockpit shots...its coming. don't you worry.

as a sidebar, my Shadow Hawk has 20 heat to start turn 7, and is still going strong with alpha strikes. He is my new best friend

How in HELL did you get a Shadowhawk to overheat?  (and in only seven turns!) 

august

Observing the match - engine hits are a hell of a thing.

Daemonknight

he lasted 3 turns, alpha striking each turn. the last one he finally blew(final heat of like 38 or something).

in other news, INFANTRY ARE GODS!! the same unit that hit the cockpit of the zues, then TAC'd it's gyro, knocked it down, and the pilot passed out.